Monday 27 February 2017

Extended Practice: Character Design of Girl

To model the girl character I used the 2D drawn versions of the character and used that as a reference when I modelled her in Maya. She didn't take too long to model due to the fact that she is a simple design, and because she is wearing a leotard I didn't have to worry about modelling any clothing for her because I could just design a leotard on the UV map. 

The hardest part of this build was the face because it was the first time I tried to model a realistic face, this took me about three hours to complete. The ear then took me another hour or so because of the complexity of the geometry.  




Looking at the two images above I then went onto changing a couple of things to the character, these changes are the eyes, ears and hair. The previous eye attempted I did went bad because I combined the eye mech to the body mesh without thinking about texturing the eyes, so I had to delete the eyes and create them again. The changes I made was that I kept the eye mesh separate from the body mesh but I just grouped the two together, this made it easier for me to texture them later on. For the ears I just totally re modelled them because I wasn't happy with the first design due to them not looking realistic enough. And Finally the hair changed because I wan't so keen on the hair bun design on the 3D model, so what I did was I created one piece of geometry and duplicated that across the head and then textured the one piece of geometry to look like hair and saved that as a PNG so that when I import the hair texture back into Maya from Photoshop it's transparent. Making the hair look interesting and different from the previous design. 






No comments:

Post a Comment