Thursday 26 November 2015

Character and Narrative: Test Animation

Before I started animating I wanted to see how my spider would look like walking, so what I did was I looked at some references of spiders walking and tried my best to imitate the movements onto my spider in Maya. I knew this wasn't going to be easy because I've got eight legs to move around and the body to move up and down to. I found a really good reference gif to work off of because when I downloaded it off the internet it downloaded as an image sequence which gave me step by step reference images to work from. 

The hardest thing about a spiders walk cycle is that not all the legs move at the same time so I can't just select some legs and move them together, I have to move each leg separately, however there is a patten in the walk cycle. The patten goes as followed; on the left side of the spider the first and third leg go together but the third leg has a slight delay on it, the second and fourth leg then goes together after the first and third leg, with the fourth leg having a slight delay on it as well. On the right sider of the spider it's exactly the same but the other way round with the legs i.e the second and fourth leg starts moving first then the first and third leg moves afterwards. 

This was for me very hard to get my head around and it took me at least two hours to complete this task. This was because I kept having to look back and forth at the reference images multiple times just for one leg then repeat that another seven times. 


No comments:

Post a Comment