Monday 7 December 2015

Character and Narrative: Making the Sound

For the animation I decided to get a load of sound effects from youtube so I can use them for things such as wind, environmental sounds, squishy noises, screams, dramatic sounds, etc. I tried to find sounds that where comedic but also fit in with our animation, so this was hard but also fun at the same time because it was just me listening to a load of funny noises for a long time. I found quite a load so that Oscar and I can go through them together to pick out the best ones.

After we sorted that out, we then rented out the sound booth at college and started making the character noises. The character sounds are just Oscar and mines voices mumbling and not really talking English. This was because we didn't want any actual dialect or words in the animation. Making the sounds took us a full morning to do because we had to plan what sounds were needed where and also us thinking about what the sounds we make were like. We had a bit of a problem about a scream sound because none of us could do a scream that actually fitted the animation so we're going to find one on the internet instead. All in all I think the sounds we made were good and comedic, we had a lot of fun in the sound booth so hopefully that will project well in the animation as well.

Putting the sounds into the animation was my job to do because Oscar did most of the putting together of the animation. To be honest adding sound is one of me favourite things to do because there as so many different ways you can change a situation just by using sound, so it's interesting to see how other people use different sound for the same situation.

 I put the sound and the animation together using Adobe Premier Pro and with this it was easy for me to tell which sounds were needed for which scene. Putting the sound together wasn't that hard to do but it did take me some time to do because of the amount of sounds I had to go through and edit so that it would fit into the animation.

There are some sounds that I've picked out in the animation that make something seem more vile than what it should be, like when the inch worm gets squished, I've put in loads of horrible squishy sounds to make it sound great. I feel like the sounds we've made and picked work well with the animation and hopefully add more comedic effect to it, and there is obviously some famous sounds in there from films which people will recognise.    

No comments:

Post a Comment