Sunday 12 March 2017

Extended Practice: Environment Design For Emma's Animation

In conjunction with my work for extended practice I'm also collaborating with Emma as a 3D background designer. For this I'll have to design and build environments which match her story and help drive the narrative. I've been given the task to build caves, forests, cabins and bridges, with the toon shader textures placed on to the models so that when I render them out they'll have a 2D aesthetic. 

Emma is wanting a low poly aesthetic to the modelling, this will be ideal for me because it will make things easier to model and it will be every economical with time. Emma has planned out the world for me to model and where every thing will be and hot the character will get to these places. This look something a bit like this: 


For the cave she has already planned out what the layout is going to be like, this cave includes stalagmites, crystals and a small pond at the back of the cave where the character will fall into. Due to the character being 2D I won't be modelling a pond or simulating a water splashing when the character interacts with the water, Emma will be animating this herself so that the 2D and 3D elements don't clash when they are placed together in post production. Emma also gave me a couple of examples of drawings of the cave that she wanted me to model, here is one drawing she sent me:


She gave me other examples for the rest of the environments like the trees and the cabins but we also created moodboards for the elements that are going to be in the world. We sat down together and went through what kind of aesthetic we could do for each element, and gathered inspiration of how other people have created these kind of elements in other 3D environments. These are the moodboards here:



No comments:

Post a Comment