Monday 5 October 2015

Character and Narrative: Creating Our Demo Character in Maya

In this session we had to create a character in maya from scratch, just so that we get the feel of mayas many tools and how building a character with low geometry will make it easier to model. Doing this will help us when it comes to creating our own character because will have the understanding and knowledge to apply what we learnt ing this session to when we model are characters. There where two main tools we used to create the character and these tools were the 'insert edge loop tool' and the 'extrude' tool, these tools helped by adding new geometry and also extending out from existing faces. Most of the stuff we got taught in this this session I already new because of the amount of practice I've already had in maya, however it was interesting to see how someone else, other than youtube, teaching me how to model in maya.

Creating the model for me was quite simple because of my experience in maya, but we also got tutorial videos from are tutor to go off of and he went through how to build a character step by step so it was easy enough to follow. I felt like I could flow through the tutorial videos with ease, except when I had to stop and help other people around me because they were having trouble with the interface or just modelling its self.

I did have a couple of problems when I was modelling the character but the problem was mainly to do with the computers and college kept crashing on me, so I just decided to model it on my laptop instead.

I didn't manage to complete the character in this session because I started off modelling the character on my own and i didn't follow the videos, and that's where I went wrong because I just confused myself. So I deleted what I did and starter all over again but this time I watched the tutorial videos to help me out. Below you'll see my progress so far and I feel like I've done a good job for now and hopefully it will improve when I finish it off later on.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment